Monday, August 5, 2013

Lifelong Fitness

About a week ago I was at Costco and saw a couple of ladies easily in their late 60s-early 70s in work out clothes.  They were wearing short shorts, tight dri-fit shirts and sneakers.  Not sloppy yoga pants and sweatshirts like you see young moms in.  These ladies were the real deal.  And they looked FABULOUS!  They looked like they had tons of energy.  Their skin was not wrinkly or saggy at all.  The looked almost ethereal with their glowing skin and white hair.

That inspired me.

I work out about 5-6 days a week.  I think that's pretty good.  I also make an effort to eat healthy for the most part, but I rarely do it with a long term goal in mind.  I do it so I don't look fat now.  I do it so I feel good now.  But I got to thinking, if I don't do it now and take care of what I have now, I'm never going to be like those amazing ladies I saw at Costco.  There's no doubt in my mind that those ladies have been taking care of themselves their entire lives.  I'm 6 months away from turning 30... yikes.  I'll bet those two were in a lot better shape than I am when they were my age. 

I already have osteopenia for crying out loud! (precursor to osteoperosis) 

SO I'm deciding to change my focus.  I want to take care of my body now so that in 40 years I look and feel as great as I do today.  I don't want my body to deteriorate.  I look at how much it's gone through with 4 pregnancies and I can't believe how hard it's been to bounce back.  And I'm still young!  I have a long way to go before I consider myself fit. 

Thank you ladies for inspiring me to be better for the older version of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment